Timothy,

On May 13, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Timothy E. Enos wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for posting this.
>
> IMO, a SHOULD is not required in a SOHO environment (which is arguably not a
> corner case for deployment). MAY works.
>
> Just as some environments may require the use of DHCPv6, some environments
> may not.
>
> For those that require use of DHCPv6, they MAY use it.
>
> I think at least in the SOHO context, it's really the local administrative
> policies (not hard and fast technical factors) that determine the (lack of)
> need for DHCPv6.
>
> All the above said, my personal opinion is that DHCPv6 does not need to
> elevated to SHOULD from MAY for the node requirements spec. If the group
> decides to the contrary I can certainly accept that.

I think all we are trying to say that there are a wide range of deployment
models, that we recommend that hosts SHOULD support both.  We are not making
any statement about what should be used in a particular deployment.

Or at least, that's my thinking and why I support the SHOULD.  Also, why I
suggested changing the text to not talk about "operators".

Bob