Le 13/05/2011 18:25, Thomas Narten a écrit :
Hi John.

Should we give some guidance on what to do if both mechanisms are available
on a network, the methods give contradictory information? I don't think it is
enough to say that both SHOULD be supported, without giving additional
clarification on what it means when both are supported.

IMO, it is a bit of a myth that the specs don't say anything to this
point.

Here is Section 5.6 from RFC 4862:

    5.6.  Configuration Consistency

    It is possible for hosts to obtain address information using both
    stateless autoconfiguration and DHCPv6 since both may be enabled at
    the same time.  It is also possible that the values of other
    configuration parameters, such as MTU size and hop limit, will be
    learned from both Router Advertisements and DHCPv6.  If the same
    configuration information is provided by multiple sources, the value
    of this information should be consistent.  However, it is not
    considered a fatal error if information received from multiple
    sources is inconsistent.  Hosts accept the union of all information
    received via Neighbor Discovery and DHCPv6.

    If inconsistent information is learned from different sources, an
    implementation may want to give information learned securely
    precedence over information learned without protection.  For
    instance, Section 8 of [RFC3971] discusses how to deal with
    information learned through Secure Neighbor Discovery conflicting
    with information learned through plain Neighbor Discovery.  The same
    discussion can apply to the preference between information learned
    through plain Neighbor Discovery and information learned via secured
    DHCPv6, and so on.

    In any case, if there is no security difference, the most recently
    obtained values SHOULD have precedence over information learned
    earlier.

The last sentence is the main one.

I also think that dealing with this issue in more detail may not be so
easy, and it would be better to do that as updates to those documents
(or a standalone document).

E.g., even DHCP by itself has a longstanding vagueness about how to
handle the merging of information received from running DHCP on
different interfaces. (And one reason its hard is that if the two
interfaces are in different management domains, there is no easy way
to merge the information. We now have a separate WG (MIF) dealing with
that sort of thing.)

YEs have we a WG item in that group dealing with that sort of thing - but it is not yet solved, at least with respect to the default route:

- should the lifetime of the default route sent by DHCP be 32 or 16bit long? (ND prefers the latter DHCP the former).

(your dhcp-should text seems to be saying operators dont like RA for some cases, hence they dont know how to configure the default route for these cases, hence DHCP should, and MIF doesnt lifetime).

Etc.

Alex

Thomas