On Wed, 25 May 2011 21:47:04 +0300
Jari Arkko <jari.ar...@piuha.net> wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> >> Hmm. I'd argue that moving and sleeping/waking nodes is perhaps more the
> >> norm than exception today. At the very least, I'd again use the MAY
> >> keyword for this specification. The above sounds almost like
> >> recommending to not implement it.
> >>

> > Just how much time does 4429 shave of the restarting of a device? not
> > much I think. Couple of seconds? In reality, devices that are
> > sleeping/waking take more than that to restore their state ...
> >

> Speak for your own devices :-) Seriously though, you are right of course
> that this may not be a big factor. That being said, button press -
> Internet is usable time is a significant usability factor in many
> devices. And on low-powered nodes the time spent having to wait before
> the device can go to sleep again can easily increase battery usage
> significantly. So I wouldn't rule out that its a significant issue in
> some cases.
>
> > Also, just who has implemented 4429? Do we actually have real
> > experience with it?
> >

> Not much if any experience -- agreed. I thought there was at least one
> implementation.

The Linux kernel has had an implementation since July 2007, although
it is disabled by default. (2.6.22 release) A google search shows
that apparently it was enabled by default for Opensuse recently to "to
improve support for NFS over IPv6."

http://gitorious.org/opensuse/kernel-source/commit/5e2ee40f92751c17694c51adaef00c35b00efe6f/diffs

 But I guess we are having a philosophical discussion of