Stephen Farrell <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

> We received a liaison [1] from ITU-T saying they're
> planning to start a couple of work items on the
> security of IPv6. As far as we know, they envisage
> developing a "technical guideline on deploying IPv6"
> and "Security Management Guideline for implementation
> of IPv6 environment in telecommunications
> organizations." Bear in mind that they're just starting
> so they know about as much as we would just before a
> BoF or something like that.
>
> I think we'd like to respond to them that that's great,
> and we'll be interested in their results, but can they
> *please* come back to us before saying something should
> be changed so's we can talk about it.

   I don't think that's quite right. We should welcome their studying
security issues; but I think we need to _strongly_ encourage them to
start from draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis when it becomes an RFC -- since
it has _significant_ changes from RFC 4294 (and an ITU-T study based
on RFC4294 will be of rather limited value).

   Furthermore, ITU-T should NOT propose "changes" to IPv6 protocol
or the Node Requirements. The language there should talk of documenting
security "concerns" or "issues" or whatever term seems neutral enough;
and list as the next step exchanging ideas of what "changes" might help.

   Clearly, ITU-T is entirely justified in publishing recommendations
of what level of security-related-trust to place in IPv6 packet
forwarding: but any protocol _changes_ are outside their bailiwick.

   (As an aside, IETF should resist most proposals for change until
IPv6 sees widespread deployment -- deploying to a moving target is
just TOO risky.)

--
John Leslie <j...@jlc.net>