Jari,

On Jun 20, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:

> I have reviewed this draft.
>
> I think it is in good shape and can move forward once we resolve one issue.
> Here's the issue:
>
>> A node that forwards a flow whose flow label value in arriving
>> packets is zero MAY change the flow label value.  In that case, it is
>> RECOMMENDED that the forwarding node sets the flow label field for a
>> flow to a uniformly distributed value as just described for source
>> nodes.
>> o  The same considerations apply as to source hosts setting the flow
>>   label; in particular, the normal case is that a flow is defined by
>>   the 5-tuple.
>> o  This option, if implemented, would presumably be used by first-hop
>>   or ingress routers.  It might place a considerable per-packet
>>   processing load on them, even if they adopted a stateless method
>>   of flow identification and label assignment.  This is why the
>>   principal recommendation is that the source host should set the
>>   label.
>>
> I think this recommendation is problematic. I agree that the first hop router
> should insert the flow label, but requiring it to do fragment reassembly in
> order to find the 5-tuple is a big burden, and I'm not sure its even called
> for.

I agree that requiring a router to reassembly isn't worthwhile.  Better to just
leave the flow label as zero.

> The RFC 2119 language above is fine. But I'd like to change the part about
> normal case being the 5-tuple. I think the normal case should be the 2-tuple
> under these circumstances. The source has access to the 5-tuple; a router is
> not guaranteed to have access to it.
>
> In addition, I'm not sure I understand how a router knows that it is a first
> hop router. Are there cases where a device might mistakenly believe it is a
> first hop router at a point where the traffic has already been load-balanced
> to multiple routers? Are there situations where the multiple first hop
> routers are used from the same host? The document should provide some
> guidance about operational conditions where the recommendations for the first
> hop router can be applied. The document should state how such functionality
> is turned on (per configuration? automatically?) and provide assurances that
> problematic conditions can be avoided.

I suppose the simple test is if the source address is from a prefix on the
incoming interface.

RFC 4311 "IPv6 Host-to-Router Load Sharing" requires (SHOULD) that hosts send
packets for a particular destination to the same router (when it has multiple
routers to choose from).  I think the flow label draft behavior for setting
zero flow labels is compatible with this.

Does this help answer your questions?

Bob