> > That all said, any router that sees a Flow Label of zero, and wants to
> > change it to something better presumably should/can. When would that
> > NOT be the case?

> If the network manager of the site decides not to do it there? I think
> it needs to be configurable.

Absolutely, and by default should probably be off.

> > Sure. But why should that impact how the Flow Label is rewritten from
> > zero to something else?

> Because different routers might pick different labels for packets
> that belong to the same flow.

But, this implies packets from the same flow are being sent through
different routers. If that is happening, something is broken, and this
document can't (and shouldn't) fix it ...

And it won't happen at the first hop. I.e., ND addresses this as does
RFC 4311. All packets from the same flow go through the same router at
the first hop. Load balancing at the ND level means different flows
can go through different default routers.

Thomas