Bob,

In addition, I'm not sure I understand how a router knows that it is a first
hop router. Are there cases where a device might mistakenly believe it is a
first hop router at a point where the traffic has already been load-balanced to
multiple routers? Are there situations where the multiple first hop routers are
used from the same host? The document should provide some guidance about
operational conditions where the recommendations for the first hop router can
be applied. The document should state how such functionality is turned on (per
configuration? automatically?) and provide assurances that problematic
conditions can be avoided.

I suppose the simple test is if the source address is from a prefix on the incoming interface. RFC 4311 "IPv6 Host-to-Router Load Sharing" requires (SHOULD) that hosts send packets for a particular destination to the same router (when it has multiple routers to choose from). I think the flow label draft behavior for setting zero flow labels is compatible with this.
Does this help answer your questions?

Yes, at least for the part where there several first hop routers. Thank you. Perhaps something like what you said above could be noted in the document, too.

Jari