Hi Randy,

On 04.07.2011 00:01, Randy Bush wrote:
>    IPv6 subnet anycast is not used operationally, complicates
>    implementations, and complicates protocol specifications.  The form
>    of anycast actually used in the Internet is routing-based, and is
>    essentilly the same as that of IPv4 anycast.  Therefore, this
>    document deprecates IPv6 subnet anycast.

I was more referring to host anycast, I don't care about the
special anycast addresses of routers as defined in sec. 2.6.1.
of RFC 4291 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4291#section-2.6.1.
or also RFC2526.

There are definitely cases where it can be useful to have a group of
anycast hosts inside a subnet, e.g., in order to increase robustness
of services etc. For instance, we had a nice use case for bootstrapping
into P2P networks by using subnet anycast addresses. There is no need
to inject anycast routes into the routing system for this.
I don't see the point why the currently proposed mechanisms (as I quoted
in my earlier mail) complicates protocol specifications. All that a host
must do is to join the solicited node multicast address for
the anycast address, and then to omit DAD. Setting the overwrite flag
to zero for an NA is also not such a big thing.
I don't see a need to implement any special functionality in routers
and I don't see how anycast complicates the host stacks as this boils
down to: support a local anycast flag for addresses; if flag is set
then omit DAD; when sending a neighbor advertisement: the overwrite
flag to zero if flag is set. Seems to be simple enough...

Regards,
 Roland