On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:27:24 +1000
Karl Auer <ka...@biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 16:34 +0930, Mark Smith wrote:
> > I missed this earlier -
> >
> > > Note that the subnet router anycast address doesn't
> > > even ensure that the "nearest" router is contacted, which would arguably
> > > have been useful, because the current spec deliberately builds in a
> > > small random delay in responding, to avoid network congestion.
> > >

> > Are you referring to rfc4861, section 7.2.7? The thing that makes the
> > first/quickest response "stick" is the Override flag being set to 0 -
>
> That's correct, the first/quickest response will stick. The thing that
> stops that working in the sense of getting to the "nearest" router is
> this:
>
>    "Nodes that have an anycast address assigned to an interface treat
>    them exactly the same as if they were unicast addresses with two
>    exceptions.  First, Neighbor Advertisements sent in response to a
>    Neighbor Solicitation SHOULD be delayed by a random time between 0
>    and MAX_ANYCAST_DELAY_TIME to reduce the probability of network
>    congestion.  Second, the Override flag in Neighbor Advertisements
>    SHOULD be set to 0, so that when multiple advertisements are
>    received, the first received advertisement is used rather than the
>    most recently received advertisement."
>
> Because of that random delay, the nearest router may not be the one that
> "wins". It's a SHOULD, so I suppose implementations could choose to
> ignore that. Unless there are a LOT of routers on the link, network
> congestion is most unlikely to be a problem, and leaving out the delay
> would help the nearest router "win".

Ok, so it seems a bit of variation has been added in so that the
anycast "clients" are likely to be spread more across all the available
anycast servers. This is probably not a bad thing. I'd been assuming it
was working like PPPoE does, where the first BRAS to respond is
(usually) the one chosen by the client. However I have seen a scenario
where out of a group of equal capacity and performance BRASes, when one
of them was placed one extra layer 2 hop away (i.e. a switch inserted
between it and the switch the others were attached to), quite
surprisingly customer connections drifted away from it over time,
despite it being less loaded, and therefore in theory should be the
fastest to respond. This extra switch hop was only adding microseconds
of latency to customer's ADSL connections that had latencies in the
order of 9 to 20ms. Adding some variation into the PADOs as per the
method above would probably have lessened if not eliminated this
customer session drift.