On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:01:27 +1000
Karl Auer <ka...@biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 17:23 +0930, Mark Smith wrote:
> > The reserving of addresses is so that the are autoconfigured and
> > therefore well known and "well available" ones. It's no different to the
> > idea of having reserved well known ports, multicast groups or unicast
> > addresses.
>
> That's fine - but we should not reserve addresses unless there is a
> point to doing so.
> I can see no reason why there should be a group of
> addresses designated "anycast" at the top of the subnet (the subnet
> anycast addresses). And so far, no-one has provided a use case that
> shows why they need to be reserved.

Sometimes you have to have the base capability widely available before
it is attractive to people to use. By insisting on a use
case, you may be creating a chicken and egg problem. See the "success"
of IPv4 multicast, bearing in mind that it was specified in RFC1119,
August 1989. Perhaps it would have been more widely used if it had been
more widely available in the 90s. That's why it's been part of IPv6
from day one.

If every router supports the subnet anycast address, because it is a
mandated requirement, you can develop and deploy something that relies
on it. If the availability is limited, you end up duplicating the same
mechanism some other way at the cost of additional effort, or don't
bother at all because those additional costs are too high.