In your letter dated Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:31:23 +0000 you wrote:
>* Philip Homburg:
>
>> First, let me make clear that I was thinking about remote attacks.
>
>How would a remote attack work?

You send a stream of packets directed to a particular /64 but you make sure
that each packet has a different destination address.

The router that attaches to the /64 has perform ND for each packet. Assuming
that those addresses are not in use, it takes 3 seconds for the ND to time out.

So the router will have to maintain a huge amount of state. And, because the
NS messages are multicast, you have to rate limit them.

>> I think that's the most serious problem. If you have malicious hosts
>> directly attached you have bigger problems, and you have to use either
>> SeND or L2 filtering.
>
>On its own, neither SeND nor L2 filtering prevent any attacks on
>neighbor discovery.  You need some sort of layering violation to tie
>endpoints to specific addresses, and nothing working exclusively on
>layer 2 or the IP layer can achieve that.  Once you can make that
>connection, you can also limit the amount of processing power and state
>per identified endpoint.  But without that, you have zero chance against
>a local attacker.

For fixed ethernet (wireless is more tricky) a switch could limit the number
of MAC addresses per port in time. If you then limit the number of IPv6
address per MAC (that would require a layer violation) then can prevent
hosts from executing a local attack.