Occasionally the subject comes up: /64 (and SLAAC) is bad because it is
easy to DoS routers by getting to perform too much ND.

At least in theory this seems to be a valid complaint. A router can (and
should) carefully allocate resources for ND to avoid having ND interfere with
other parts of the routers functionality.

But in the end, if the ND part of a router is overloaded and it needs to do
ND for a genuine neighbor, it may have to drop the packet.

So what I was thinking of, what if a router that is under attack would
periodically multicast to the all-nodes multicast address a message saying
"help I'm under attack". Upon receiving such a message all nodes send a
neighbor solication to the router. This populates the router's neighbor
cache with entries for all of it's neighbors. Thus ensuring that normal traffic
can flow uninterrupted.