On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Florian Weimer wrote:

Think as an ISP. We do not stateful firewall our customers, and we
might be forced to have requipment in the customer /64, at least
initially.

Could you rephrase that?

Our central (for some definition of central) equipment might have to be the default gw of the devices residing in the customer /64.

To scale, I of course want to have a LL onmly between my central equipment and a CPE, and DHCPv6-PD it a /56 and don't have to care about how many devices the customer has in his/her home, but a lot of people say requiring a CPE to deploy IPv6 is a showstopper so that most likely will not happen initially.

If you're in the IPv4 consumer market, I'm pretty sure you provide stateful filtering for customers. (The filter probably resides on the CPE.) It's possible to do things differently with IPv6, but customers will probably not like it.

No, we do not provide stateful filtering. We a lot of the time don't even provide a CPE. Customer can connect their computer directly into the wall RJ45 and get an IPv4 address today.

When looking at deploying IPv6 in this scenario, we'd like to put each customer in a separate /64 so we don't have to deal with a lot of the security issues seen when sharing L2 domain between several customers, but we'd still have to limit the amount of IPv6 addresses the customer can have "active" due to ND table size limitations (if our central equipment is the default gw on the customer LAN). This is even without any ddos discussion, this is just normal operations.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se