On Jul 17, 2011, at 1:53 AM, Philip Homburg wrote:

> In your letter dated Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:32:37 +0930 you wrote:
>> The quite novel technique of allocation transient addresses to
>> applications/processes to assist with firewalling also takes advantage
>> of IPv6's large address space and that hosts can have multiple
>> addresses at once. It'd be a shame to loose the opportunity to do that
>> or similar innovative things with the large IPv6 address space -
>
> A more scalable approach is to simply route a /96 to the host. There paper
> already suggests that:
>
> "If necessary in a given environment, this could be faked by hav-
> "ing a host pretend to be a stub router; however, this would require
> "the host to participate in routing protocols, which is generally
> "considered to be a bad idea. A better solution would be to extend
> "NDP to handle host address prefix lengths.
>
> I guess the authors didn't know about DHCPv6 prefix delegation.
>
> I think the same applies to hosts with lots of VMs: maintaining a potentially
> large number of NC entries for a single MAC address is unlikely to scale.
> This is what routing is designed for.

One issue to think about has to do with virtual machines. If I have one
physical platform that appears to the network to be many virtual platforms, I
would likely want to give it many IPv6 addresses. In a cloud computing
environment, if I move a virtual machine from one platform to another, I would
like to move the address and its routing, by changing the MAC address
associated with the IPv6 address. Forcing a /96 here would limit my options -
to change the routing, I would be forced to change the address, which is
something in a cloud computing environment that I don't want to do.

I could imagine a mix of the proposals, though. I could imagine using a /80 for
a rack or a /96 per platform for virtual machines that reside there, with a
smattering of /128s within the data center for virtual machines that have moved
- and if there was a long term movement, I could imagine renumbering the
machine by adding a new address to it in its new /96, changing the DNS name,
waiting an appropriate interval, and then removing the old address's /128 from
routing and from the virtual machine.