Hi,

> As a defense against remote attack, I'm thinking that routers should limit
> the percentage of their ND caches that are associated with nonexistent hosts.
>  I suspect there are circumstances when it makes sense to have "passive"
> hosts, perhaps even large numbers of them, which the local router isn't aware
> of until traffic from outside arrives for them.
>
> It might also make sense to rate-limit ND messages sent as a result of
> inbound traffic - if this rate of such ND messages exceeds a certain
> threshold,  drop incoming packets for hosts not in the ND cache at random.

It might be a good idea to increase the timers on the hosts that are in the
cache, or to start refreshing those cache entries actively before they run out.
In such a situation we might want to keep the pool of verified existing hosts
as large as possible to keep the dropping of good packets to a minimum.

Sander