Hi Christopher,

On 27.09.2011 15:49, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> why can't these just use globally unique addresses?

They can, but there are similar reasons for using ULAs:
- They are not intended to be routed in the Internet
- They use a well-known prefix to allow for easy filtering at site
  boundaries.

I'm not sure if the current policies allow to allocate
Global Unicast Addresses for these purposes. If it is a viable
solution, fine.

> are we certain they will never be connected to the Internet? (no
> really, you are sure? really?)

Not really in all cases, as learned from history.
So there may be cases where these networks get connected to the
Internet somehow, but usually only by using a security gateway/proxy,
because they should stay isolated, i.e., direct global access
to individual devices is usually not desired at all.

Regards,
 Roland