On 9/27/11 08:49 CDT, Christopher Morrow wrote:
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Roland Bless<roland.bl...@kit.edu>  wrote:
Hi,

it seems that there is currently not much interest in ULA-Cs (centrally
assigned ULAs). I came across several use cases, where manufacturers
(e.g, those of cars, airplanes, or smart metering environments)
would need internal/closed IPv6-based networks (maybe only for internal
control and management), that have no connection to the Internet.
For several reasons (esp. security) those networks
should operate isolated and independent from the Internet. In some cases
these products or installations may get merged, so prefix uniqueness
would be beneficial. Using locally assigned ULAs still bears the risk of
getting conflicts between manufacturers, esp. when considering the
number of manufacturers and products.

why can't these just use globally unique addresses?
are we certain they will never be connected to the Internet? (no
really, you are sure? really?)

I'm sympathetic to your questions here, but there are people that really want this kind of thing and know what they are doing. Yes, there are a lot that don't, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the ones that do know what they are doing, just to protect the ones that don't from themselves.

Also, the RIR policies focus on Internet connected uses of addresses. Sometimes the policies outright prohibit non-connected use. Or if they don't, there are written in ways that to the uninitiated think the policies prohibit such use. ARIN-2010-8 (Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria) allows unconnected assignments now, but I'm not sure the other RIRs policies are as clear.

ARIN-2010-4 (Rework of IPv6 allocation criteria) modified by ARIN-2011-3 (Better IPv6 Allocations for ISPs) doesn't dis-allow non-connected allocations, but it is really focused on ISPs connected to the Internet. 2010-4 originally explicitly discussed non-connected network but that had to be removed to gain consensus. So while it is not diss-allowed, it is not clear to the uninitiated in plain language that it is allowed. RIR policy is driven by service providers and their view of the world. So if you want to push people to GUA you need to ensure RIR policies enable that, in clear and understandable language, and they don't really do a good enough job of that currently.

David Farmer               Email:far...@umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE      Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952