Hi Jeroen,

On 27.09.2011 15:51, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> it seems that there is currently not much interest in ULA-Cs (centrally
>> assigned ULAs). I came across several use cases, where manufacturers
>> (e.g, those of cars, airplanes, or smart metering environments)
>> would need internal/closed IPv6-based networks (maybe only for internal
>> control and management), that have no connection to the Internet.
>
> Why can't they request a prefix from their RIR?

This is an option, as it was when we deprecated site-local addresses,
but we have defined ULAs for several reasons that IMHO also apply
to the described use cases.

> RIRs are already "Central registries" in the broadest sense of the word.

I thought that these addresses are primarily intended to get routed in
the Internet. I'm not familiar with the RIR policies, so if it's
allowed: fine!

> [..]
>> On the other hand the currently defined ULA format is probably also not
>> very well-suited for that purpose, since it is intended to be used for
>> sites, but these products rarely require ~2^16 subnets, i.e., an 8 bit
>> subnet ID may be sufficient for most purposes.
> [..]
>> Thus, for this case the
>> currently defined ULA format is too restrictive requiring a 16-bit
>> subnet ID.
>
> Then why not have the organisation needing and hardcoding those prefixes
> calculate ULAs in /48s but splitting them up into subprefixes for
> multiple products.

Would be an option, but collisions are still possible.

> A better question maybe is if those components in such a prefix ever
> have to talk outside of that closed network. If they don't, why bother
> having a different unique prefix for every little private network?

As I said, there may be cases when some of these networks get
coupled/merged somehow, still not requiring to get globally connected
though.

>> Letting manufacturers ask for a large PI prefix from the
>> normal routing space does not make much sense either, since it is not
>> intended to be ever routed in the Internet.
>
> The RIR effectively only acts as a registration point thus guaranteeing
> that address space allocated in their region, from them, is unique. They
> do not and cannot guarantee anything regarding routing on the Internet.

Sure they can't, but I wasn't sure that they have some requirements
(policies) for requesting the address space.

Regards,
 Roland