Hi, Jonathan,

I think I now understand. My understanding is as if the cases 2 and 3 were
written in the following way:

  2.  Datagrams, which can be forwarded within the same RPL Instance as in
      the RPL Option contained in outer-most IPv6 header inside the
      datagrams, are forwarded to the correct interface.

  3.  Datagrams, which cannot be forwarded within the same RPL Instance
      as in the RPL option contained in the outer-most IPv6 header inside
      the datagrams, are dropped.

  4.  Datagrams, which does not contain a RPL option in the outer-most IPv6
      Header inside the datagrams, can be either forwarded to available
      network or dropped if the next hop cannot be determined.
      RPL router may encapsulate the datagrams using IPv6-in-IPv6 tunneling
      when forwarding them, adding RPL Option to the newly added outer
      IPv6 header.
      Note that, if a datagram, which does not contain a RPL option, was
      delivered to the RPL router using IPv6-in-IPv6 tunneling, and the
      outer IPv6 header contained a RPL option, and the recipient RPL
      router decides to forward the datagram using the same RPL Instance
      as in the processed RPL option, the RPL router encapsulates the
      packet again and include the same RPL Option following the
      requirements mentioned above in this section.

Is my understanding correct?
Thank you.

BR,
Kundok