In message <4eebe5ad.9080...@si6networks.com>, Fernando Gont writes:
> On 12/16/2011 08:45 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > The real worry is the amount of state that busy authoritative servers
> > will be maintaining.  At 13K+ mostly unique clients a second to answer
> > that's a lot of state.
>
> Well, that's assuming the queries are really fragmented into more than
> one packet. Is there any data about this? (i.e., size of requests)

It's the state on the sending side I'm worried about.  You are
adding ~13K entries a second to the destination cache it will
soon get large as *every* DNS/UDP response has a fragmentation
header.

Instead of maintainin a counter on a per-destination basis, hash
the source and destination and use a pool of fragment counters
possibly using differently seeded lsfr.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org