* Fernando Gont:

> The second I-D is entitled 'Processing of IPv6 "atomic" fragments'
> (http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-00.txt).
> Its abstract is:
>
> ---- cut here ----
>    IPv6 allows packets to contain a Fragment Header, without the packet
>    being actually fragmented into multiple pieces.  Such packets
>    typically result from hosts that have received an ICMPv6 "Packet Too
>    Big" error message that advertises a "Next-Hop MTU" smaller than 1280
>    bytes, and are currently processed by hosts as "fragmented
>    traffic".

Does such traffic actually occur in the wild, or would it only be used
in attacks?

>    By forging ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" error messages an attacker can
>    cause hosts to employ "atomic fragments", and the launch any
>    fragmentation-based attacks against such traffic.  This document
>    discusses the generation of the aforementioned "atomic fragments",
>    the corresponding security implications, and formally updates RFC
>    2460 and RFC 5722 such that the attack vector based on "atomic
>    fragments" is completely eliminated.

My feeling is that such atomic fragments should be dropped from the
protocol.

Per previous WG discussion, when reassembling such atomic fragments,
IPv6 implementations must ignore the upper 16 bits of the fragment ID
(otherwise the stateless v4/v6 gateways won't work).  Clearly, this is
not desirable.

--
Florian Weimer                <fwei...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99