On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Fernando Gont wrote:

Folks,

The posting of draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-00.txt triggered
some (unintended) discussion about the usefulness/legitimacy of IPv6
"atomic fragments" (IPv6 packets that contain a Fragmentation Header,
but that have the "More Fragments" bit set to zero).

My understanding is that is quite clear that such packets have been
found in the wild and that a number of things would break if they were
blocked or banned.

That said, I'd like some feedback on the actual proposal in
draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-00.txt: process the aforementioned
"atomic fragments" as if they were non-fragmented packets. This would
basically eliminate all the security issues and problems normally
associated with framgentation, while still allowing their legitimate use.

I support your proposal. I will do a more thorough review of your draft.

        Best Regards,
                Janos Mohacsi

Thoughts?

Thanks!