Fernando,

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The posting of draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-00.txt triggered
> some (unintended) discussion about the usefulness/legitimacy of IPv6
> "atomic fragments" (IPv6 packets that contain a Fragmentation Header,
> but that have the "More Fragments" bit set to zero).

Just to clarify what you mean by an atomic fragment; you mean fragments
with an offset of 0 and the "More Fragments" flag set to zero.  That is,
this is the beginning and there is no more.

> My understanding is that is quite clear that such packets have been
> found in the wild and that a number of things would break if they were
> blocked or banned.

They are essential to translation systems.  Firewalls that block them are
broken since "atomic fragments" represent no security risk and are a legal
part of the protocol.

> That said, I'd like some feedback on the actual proposal in
> draft-gont-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-00.txt: process the aforementioned
> "atomic fragments" as if they were non-fragmented packets. This would
> basically eliminate all the security issues and problems normally
> associated with framgentation, while still allowing their legitimate use.

On the one hand I would prefer that this document not be necessary.  That
is, treating "atomic fragments" as not being fragmented at all is the way
that any competent software engineer would treat them.  The idea of
allocating reassembly state and timers for datagrams of this sort and then
executing anything like the normal reassembly logic on them is absurd.  It
is difficult to imagine that there are implementations that would do so.

That said, if we need to spell that out in great and gory detail to get
implementors to do the obvious thing, then I guess we need to.  I
grudgingly support the proposal to document how implementations should
treat "atomic fragments".

Tim Hartrick