Hi Fernando,

SEAL at least does not require a new transport protocol
nor new IP options in all of its manifestations, i.e.,
it can be embedded within TCP/UDP just fine.

> > I do not think most folks ahve that view.
> > But taht is the corrolary of the assumption that
> > a) things need to work through firewalls
>
> I don't have such assumption. Actually, I'm rather in the camp of what
> somebody wrote years ago "firewall-friendly protocols are really
> 'firewall-unfriendly', because they are designed to circumvent the
> policies specified by the firewall administrators".
>
> So I don't think that one should necessarily design protocols to work
> through firewalls. BUt at the same time one shouldn't be surprised if
> they don't.

Some of these encapsulation approaches get around this
by maintaining multiple candidate paths, and testing
to find one or more of the candidates that are working.
A candidate path that would traverse a blocking firewall
would just be seen as a non-working path.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com