On 2012-01-05 11:50, Templin, Fred L wrote:

> [...]

The point is that paranoid firewalls will turn this into an
arms race - if they are paranoid enough to block ICMP PTB,
which apparently many are, why wouldn't they block any other
signalling mechanism - especially a new one?

That's why RFC 4821 describes MTU probing hidden in the transport
layer, where hopefully firewalls would let it be. You will
probably look in vain for widely deployed versions of RFC 4821.

     Brian