On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:05:20AM +0100, t.petch wrote:
> Juergen
>
> This topic kicked off with
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg14975.html
> as  a report of some unexpected behaviour in Firefox and the view
> there was that BSD and Linux imposed a limit of 15 characters.

While 15 characters seem to be a common length restriction in todays
Unix implementations, there does not seem to be an architectural
constraint that it has to be 15 - the socket API functions say there
is a limit but they leave it open what it is. On a really low-end
Juniper router in our lab (without doing anything to it), I find
interface names like sp-0/0/0.16383 - already 14 characters. But then
I also realize that this interface name contains characters that do
not fit the unreserved production of RFC 3986 either.

So in short, I think we should avoid putting up length restrictions
and we may need to think what to do about interface names that contain
characters not matching the unreserved production of RFC 3986. Perhaps
if all characters are digits, we can treat the value as an interface
number as a last resort.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany