On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 09:42:44AM -0700, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> Wouldn't it be an option to have all applications & systems accept
> as input both formats, but only give as output the new one?
> i.e. browsers already rewrite URIs.

There are other standards that currently state that % is the canonical
format for zone identifier separation. We would have to revise those
standards (and all standards using those standards) and for some of
them this is not just a simple update due to the way versioning works.
As such, a new '-' notation won't be accepted by certain interfaces
for a long time. In other words, we cause problems (perhaps for 10-20
years) where there are currently no problems. And the question is
whether this price is justified to address the zone identifier in URI
issue.

For me, the priority is this:

a) Check seriously whether %en1 is really not acceptable since there
   really is no ambiguity. Using this notation is what the user wants.

b) If a) is indeed not possible, simply apply the URI escaping rules,
   that is %25en1. This is consistent with URI escaping (which might
   happen on other parts of the zone index as well). Provide advise that
   URI parser implementors may accept %en1 (when it is unambiguous) and
   turn it into %25en1. (Many browsers already do this kind of thing
   today for other characters that need escaping.)

I see no value in introducing a new separator.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany