Hi, Karl

Thanks for your reply, now I understand your arguments clearly.

I think our common view is "ambiguity in not good". Then your way is just
deprecating them; if don't deprecate, then make it clear. But I just have the
opposite approach: since it's ambiguous, we need at least make them clear, and
beyond, we need more SLAAC/DHCPv6 interaction than the original M/O flags
semantics.

Let me explain what are "the current problems":
[1]. Renumbering problems.
In RFC5887(Renumbering still needs work), section 5.1.1 says clearly:
   "Until this ambiguous behaviour is clearly resolved by the IETF,
   operational problems are to be expected, since different host
   operating systems have taken different approaches.  This makes it
   difficult for a site network manager to configure systems in such a
   way that all hosts boot in a consistent way.  Hosts will start SLAAC,
   if so directed by appropriately configured RA messages.  However, if
   one operating system also starts a DHCPv6 client by default, and
   another one starts it only when it receives the M bit, systematic
   address management is impeded."
Our test had identified the host OSes have tanken different apporoaches. For
the above mentioned "systematic address management" , we already discussed
several instance, as I described in the draft:
    - The site manager wants the host to do DHCPv6 when online. Current
practise is sending RA M=1 and don't include PIO, however, how the OSes will
behave is not controlled by the site.
    - The site manager wants the SLAAC-configured hosts to do DHCPv6 (e.g.
adding a multihomed uplink who uses DHCPv6 for address configuration).  For
some OSes, there's just no availeble method.
    - The site manager wants the DHCPv6-configured hosts switch to SLAAC. If
you don't interprete M=0 as prescriptive, the only way is either just waiting
for the DHCPv6 lease time expires, or initial DHCPv6-reocnfiguration from the
server side. But I don't think it  is an efficient way when  renumbering. If
the lease time is too long, the problem is more serious.  For
DHCPv6-reocnfiguration, it is only unicast, and stateful, not proper for bulk
use.

[2] Requirement from ISP
ISPs have strong requirement of strictly controlling the CPE behaving as they
expect. There's an instance I learned, an ISP deployed stateless DHCPv6 in
their IPv6 network, which means they required the CPE to
configure addresses through SLAAC and other parameters through DHCPv6. Since
the ambiguity in standard, they had to directly specify the requirements to the
CPE vendor, which means, universal CPE may not be availeble in IPv6 networks
unless we have clear definition in standard.

[3] I think Alexandru's argument of mobile nodes is another good example.

Regards,
Bing