Call this "making sure I'm on the same page as anyone else"…

RFC 4941 describes privacy addresses, and RFC 4291 describes an EID based on a
MAC Address. RFC 4862 describes stateless address autoconfiguration, and uses
RFC 4861's duplicate address detection mechanism.

My question is: what happens if any of them discovers that it has created an
address that is already in use in the network?

There would appear to be two options:
(1) "ah, OK, I guess I didn't really want to talk today"
(2) Following RFC 4941, guess again until one creates a unique address

Is it fair to assume that implementations do DAD and follow (2)?