> > Globally unique. The point here is that the Ethernet standards require
> > a globally unique MAC address *per box*, not necessarily per interface.
> > The "Sun way" of storing a MAC address in EEPROM and configuring all
> > network cards with the same MAC address was perfectly compliant, just
> > somewhat unusual.
>
> But that's not the whole story, right?
>
> The only way this can work is if one assumes that each interface of that box
> is connected to a different IP subnet. I don't even think Ethernet rules are
> what matters here. If the box should happen to be dual homed to the same IP
> subnet, that Sun scheme doesn't work. (I suppose unless only one of the box's
> interface is active at any given time.

Obviously. And I believe more modern Sun boxes actually have a MAC
address per interface. All I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong,
standards-wise, in having *one* globally unique MAC address per box.

Having the same MAC address shared between two (or more) boxes *is*
wrong, standards-wise. And unfortunately that's exactly what we're
seeing in practice. Not often, but "often enough" that it may not be
safe to ignore the possibility.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no