> In my experience, MAC address duplicates are almost always the result of
> too-true copy&paste'ing of virtual machine configurations :-)
> (You want to duplicate the virtual machine in order to try an upgrade...)

Here are a couple of counterexamples, taken from the list of 10 MAC
addresses in my previous message. Both duplicates apparently due to
software error, both affecting Linksys routers:

1. Googling "mac address 00:90:4c:91:00:01" gives me for instance

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Access-Points/WAP54G-MAC-address-overwritten-how/td-p/26679

http://forum.soft32.com/linux2/Linksys-WAP54G-spontaneously-MAC-ftopict40391.html

2. Googling "mac address 00:40:10:20:00:02" gives me for instance

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16097&sid=81aa5d3a28eb9718427591418ea20e3e

http://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53350&view=next&sid=c927780443f32c982cf9dd57d73ae952

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no