sth...@nethelp.no wrote:

> All I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong,
> standards-wise, in having *one* globally unique MAC address per box.

But I'm disagreeing.

There is a lot wrong with having the same address on multiple ports of a box,
when those multiple ports share the same network. This is true both at layer 2
and at layer 3, right?

There are work-arounds, such as ensuring only one port is active, e.g. via STP
or whatever.

The Sun scheme worked only under certain circumstances. It would violate
standards in certain scenarios.

> Having the same MAC address shared between two (or more) boxes *is*
> wrong, standards-wise. And unfortunately that's exactly what we're
> seeing in practice. Not often, but "often enough" that it may not be
> safe to ignore the possibility.

That's also true.

Bert