Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-04: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

DISCUSS:

This is a combined DISCUSS on udpchecksums and udpzero.  First, let me
say that I have no actual objection to publishing either of these
documents.  What I'm concerned about is whether we're saying what we want
to stay as a "standard", so let's discuss that:

The issue comes when I look at udpzero Section 5.1 and udpchecksums
section 5.  The numbered list in the latter is essentially a
word-for-word copy of the numbered list in the former, with the "must"s
and "may"s and "should not"s changed to upper case.  It always bothers me
when a significant amount of important text is duplicated like that, but
the real problem comes when I look at what this *says*.

Because udpzero is informational, when it says, "If a zero checksum
approach were to be adopted by the IETF, the specification should
consider adding the following constraints on usage," that makes no
normative requirement on any future protocol that runs on UDP and decides
to bypass the UDP checksums.  Now, of course, we also have a document,
udpchecksums, which defines what to do if you do tunneling on UDP and you
want to skip the outer checksums (because you have inner ones).  *That*
document makes this list normative.

But what happens if, later, someone decides to document how to do, let's
say, media streaming over UDP with zero checksums.  The analysis in
udpzero applies, of course, but the new document is under no obligation
to consider it or any of those usage restrictions in Section 5.1.  (It
might be that such a document could never get past the current community
and ADs, but I'm not sure we want to leave that to chance.)

So the question comes to what we want to say normatively.  Which is it
that we want a standard saying?

1. If you tunnel packets over UDP and want to avoid the UDP checksums,
you need to use this list of restrictions.  But other applications over
UDP that want to avoid the UDP checksums can make entirely different
decisions.

or

2. If you do *anything* over UDP and want to avoid the UDP checksums, you
need to use this list of restrictions.  And here's how tunneling over UDP
works.

I think (2) is right, but the way the documents are structured now says
(1).

Discussion, please....