On Sat, 20 Oct 2012, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:

Right, parts of ND are handled in kernel in most OSes. But one key part that would need to be modified is RA and that is userspace. In linux that means mainly radvd, and curiously enough that lacks RS which is mostly kernel.

Sending of RA is userspace, reception of RA is kernel.

So, instead of preferring DHCP one may bring RS out of kernel into radvd (a so called 'rsadvd'). At that point it's relatively easier to do Prefix Delegation with ND than with DHCP, implementation-wise, not least because code is smaller.

Why is it easier? Also, I'd imagine there are already implementations of DHCPv6-PD available under quite permissive licenses, instead of what you're proposing which requires everybody to develop new code.

Where does PD belong - to DHCP or ND is a long discussion and I'll be happy to take part if it happens.

For me, this is that discussion.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se