Hi Jouni,

Please the response in-line.

-----Original Message-----
From: jouni korhonen [mailto:jouni.nos...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:54 AM
To: Samita Chakrabarti
Subject: Re: Updated Efficient-nd posted

Hi,

I had a quick glance over the I-D. Since you are referring to LTE networks (I
assume this is the indirect assumption for cellular networks in the I-D).

==> Yes. It should just say 3GPP Cellular Networks. Looking at TS 23.060 and TS
123.401 I see that the former allows periodic RA. Though TS 123.401 stays
silent about periodic RA, and it talks about RS->RA sequence and DAD not being
required for SLAAC. However, it is unclear if the RA is unicast or multicast
and does not prevent one implementation to send periodic RA.

 I wonder what kind of real & specific benefits you envision over, say the LTE
link? Those cellular links are already rather quiescent when it comes to ND
traffic. To me what to I-D proposes introduces more ND traffic than there is
today. Or am I missing something fundamental here?

===> The real benefit is that the SDO can directly refer to this IETF document
( if published as a RFC) which clearly states the behavior of UE and
Address-assignment router/server. This will prevent multiple interpretation of
the SLAAC behavior ( multicast messages, periodic RA) from the 3GPP documents.
Since 3GPP GGSN or PDN-GW already acting as a default router, the node
registration will be useful information to the operator for UE management.
Today, in many cases, DHCP is used or some other SDO specific registration is
done to provide the SLAAC service; this document will provide uniformity across
handsets/technologies. For example, a handset switching from Cellular to
wireless or vice-versa can maintain the same optimized behavior of address
assignment procedure.

The I-D does not add more ND traffic at all. The registration procedure is an
optional feature and it is also embedded in NUD like message and one can set a
long lifetime to avoid frequent registration.

Thanks for your input.
-Samita