All,

I fully agree with Brian Carpenter's note of Tuesday,
December 11th at 10:55:05 +0000.  I support his
perspective as expressed in that note.

I have read, but am NOT persuaded by, the responses
from Remi Despres to Brian's notes.

Further, I note that the combination ( U==1 a&& G==1)
already has a well defined meaning -- namely a
global-scope multicast identifier.  These are not
widely deployed today, but there are various folks looking
into using precisely those identifiers for global-scope
multicasting -- in a way compatible with IEEE 802
definitions of the EUI-64 with (U==1 && G==1).

Also, I'll note that the IID portion of an IPv6 address
is carefully designed to be algorithmically translatable,
from an IEEE 802 standard EUI-64 identifier.  That algorithm
is trivial, and is universally deployed today, in a
wide range of devices.  The definitions of U and G bits
do NOT derive ab initio from IETF documents, but instead
are fundamental parts of the IEEE 802 EUI-64 architecture.
The IETF architectural choice to use a (trivially-modified)
EUI-64 in the IETF's IPv6 addressing formats was foundational,
correct, and ought not be changed at this point.

Last, according to the IANA web site (URL below),
the IETF *already* has several different ways of
mapping IPv4 addresses into IPv6 addresses.  The
4rd folks need to show that none of these could be
used for their purposes, and also need to show
that none of the mapping techniques already used
could work.  Neither of these have been shown so far.
If the 4rd advocates can't make an existing mapping
(between IPv4 and IPv6) work, they ought to define
a new mapping that does NOT modify the semantics of
either the U or G bits.

Yours,

Ran Atkinson