On 01/29/2013 10:18 AM, Ole Troan wrote:
> [...]
>>> (e) With the 16-bit 4rd IID prefix, only 1/2^14 of the unused set of
>>> IIDs having u=g=1 is reserved. This leaves plenty of space for future
>>> uses of IIDs having u=1, as explicitly expected in RFC 4291.
>>
>> That goes to the argument of (d), that it isn't harmful to assign
>> some space to 4rd.
>
> I still think we need to answer the question Brian raised.
> should the interface-id have any encoded meaning?

The only point having an encoding meaning is that, *in theory*, if you
have a Universal/Local bit, and you have a source of universal
identifiers, then you could tell beforehand that you're not going to
have address collisions. However,

* Practice indicates that "universal" identifiers are reused
(virtualization software being just one example). And when you find a
collision, you still need some other scheme to generate the IIDs (or
else, how are you going to solve the DAD failure).

* You'd need some coordination to separate the different namespaces
(that's why we stuff the fffe for IEEE Identifiers, right?)

* We must implement slaac anyway, so.. who cares about the
aforementioned uniqueness?

* Those universal identifiers bring patters, which are undesirable (see
e.g. draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning).

For the stable addresses, what we should be doing is replace the
IEEE-derived scheme with draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses, and
be done with it. (probably eminating that of clearing the U bit in the
IID, though).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont