>> But, unless there is an actual problem with the design the IETF has
>> adopted, I am reluctant to change it "just because".
>
> i know.  ipv6 is perfect, widely deployed, and unchangable.  i hope we all
> like v4 nat.

I can find many reasons to remove the magic from the U and G bits. I personally
ran into the U/G bit issues in RFC 4380 (Teredo) and  RFC 6052 (IPv4-embedded
IPv6 addresses). In both cases, the design would have been simpler if we had
not try to maintain the fiction of the U and G bits. And CGA could definitely
benefit from 2 additional bits of entropy. So this is not a change "just
because."

-- Christian Huitema