Le 2013-02-04 à 11:32, Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com> a écrit :

> On 02/04/2013 06:42 AM, Rémi Després wrote:
>> In this respect, changing now the IPv6 specification for hosts that
>> configure IIDs having u=1, although no serious need has been
>> identified, and this specification has ben used, would be in my
>> understanding very counterproductive: stability of already used
>> specifications is important for their success.
>
> I strongly disagree. For many reasons, including:
>
> 1) What's broken, is broken. And if it's known to be broken, it should
> be fixed.

One has to come with a proof that reserving u=1 for universally specified IID
formats is harmful.

None has been seen.
OTPH, 4rd is the first instance that shows it can be beneficial beyond its
current application to IEEE derived IIDs.

> 2) We do maintenance of widely-implemented, widely-deployed protocols.
> So I'm not sure why we should be scared about changing stuff in v6
> (particularly when we're still at a point in which the v6 traffic is
> very small)

Different understanding.
To me, standard modifications need serious reasons, and much caution.

RD