Alexandru,

On Mar 28, 2013, at 9:37 AM, Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Le 19/02/2013 22:08, joel jaeggli a écrit :
>> On 2/19/13 12:40 PM, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>>>

>>> I think I may need to actually better expose the problem: how to form
>>> IPv6 addresses for vehicles. (yes we know these already exist: DHPCv6,
>>> PRefix Delegation on cellular, stateless autoconf, NAT, NPT, 64share).
>>>
>> One of the questions I have in that context what special property of
>> cars make them need a new method?
>
> Well they're different than Ethernet interfaces.  One could have several
> Ethernet interfaces in a single car.  And, cars have their globally unique
> space of identifiers which is not EUI-48.
>
> When one tries to make an IPv6 addressing architecture for vehicles one goes
> into planning which could quickly overcome the space of IPv6.
>
> There are very many hurdles to a simple straightforward IPv6 address planning
> for vehicles.
>
> 1 - At most 2^78 vehicles may exist.

That's a lot of vehicles.  It is 302,231,454,903,657,000,000,000 to be exact.
The current world population is currently a little over 7 billion
(7,075,000,000).  Assuming a few orders of magnitude of population growth and
ownership of multiple vehicles per person, that still much much much smaller
than 2^78.  I don't we need to worry about handling 2^78 vehicles.  Where does
that number come from?

>    There may be not enough space in IPv6 addressing architecture space
>    to uniquely distinguish between all past current and future
>    vehicles.

Likewise, I don't think we need to deal with past vehicles.  We do need to deal
with the active vehicles that are likely to be on the Internet.

Bob