Of course it is, if it is not enabled, it's not enabled ...

btw. The 3GPP specs forbid to base the IID on your number/MSISDN, IMSI
or any other identifier. (just in case someone would want to make their life
easier)

> To some extent this is a privacy issue, because data mining could find
> out that the manufacturer of my equipment is that brand, and propose me
> that brand when I buy a tablet on amazon.
>
> In that sense, I doubt it is possible for anybody to impose the use of
> Privacy Addresses (randon number in IID, if I am not wrong) to e.g. many
> cellular operators.  It is still seen as an option (I think).

Mobile Operators (following their Privacy departments) are very likely to
request
handsets with Privacy Extensions enabled by default, the same could be the case
for all 'good' mobile stuff vendors.

Ales