Hi, Alex,

On 04/02/2013 12:55 PM, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>> IMO, you should follow what appears to be the consensus on the
>> subject: set the IID in whatever way you want,
>
> About this there is a tendency to agreement.  The privacy aspect should
> be considered, balanced by a privacy-to-mobility tradeoff.

Which privacy aspect?

> But this VIN topic is also about how to generate an ULA prefix when no
> EUI-64 is available. (if ULAs are good to be used in a vehicle).

The ULA spec relies on that?

Anyway.. the idea is that you randomize the prefix...

>>> This Router sold by the third-party needs to know what IPv6
>>> addresses are or should there be in the vehicle.
>>
>> Isn't this a case of network mobility?
>
> YEs it is.  Network mobility has a means to dynamically acquire a prefix
> for the moving network, from the HA.  But it doesnt say whether that
> prefix could be used for direct vehicle-to-vehicle communications, or
> shouldnt.

Not sure what you mean....

>>> _If_ ULA space may be used then one wonders how to generate one
>>> ULA prefix for one vehicle.  The RFC ULA does suggest an example
>>> algorithm, but it says other algorithms may be possible.
>>
>> The idea is that the prefix is randomized, as to reduce colisions,
>> IIRC.
>
> Yes, and it suggests an algorithm for doing so.  That algorithm uses
> EUI-64.  Some MRs may have several such, or none.  What to use in these
> case?

OK. Lt me take a look -- anyway, my rough guess is that you'd be fine by
just randomizing the prefix part. (i.e., the router).

>> I'm not arguing that you're the only guy working on this, nor that
>> this VIN->IPv6 mapping might be useful to those working on VIN-IPv6
>> topic -- I'm rather arguing that IPv6 address should be... IPv6
>> addresses
>
> Yes.  Precisely as IPv6 addresses are IPv6 addresses and sometimes
> contain EUI-64 identifiers in clear.

We should eventually move away from that. See
draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses.

>> If your point is "We are not intending to introduce any additional
>> semantics to the IPv6 addresses/IIDs, but rather are not sure how we
>> should implement RFC XXXX in our specific case", please do let me
>> know, and I'll look further into this.
>
> Provided that the use of ULA  in a vehicle is acceptable, one would try
> to find out how to generate a ULA prefix in a vehicle, and maybe on a
> Mobile Router which has several EUI-64, or none.

If you expect communication across vehicles, then your upstream router
should be the one generating the prefix. If only in-vehicle
communication is expected, you'd be okay by just randomizing the prefix.
-- But I'll double-check with the UA spec and come back to you -- please
feel free to ping me if I forget.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont