It is very clear that if the attacker finds the private key, the size of the
hash does not matter. But can you explain why you believe that retrieving the
private key from the public key and a clear text/encrypted text pair is easier
than breaking a hash? Did you somehow crack RSA?

From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Hosnieh
Rafiee
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:27 AM
To: ipv6@ietf.org; s...@ietf.org
Cc: Erik Nordmark; alexandru.petre...@gmail.com; Ray Hunter
Subject: security consideration of CGA and SSAS - Ii-D action :
draft-rafiee-6man-ssas

Hello,
There was a discussion during my presentation about security considerations
regarding the use of my algorithm compared with those of the use of CGA. A big
mistake that is made when considering CGA security is that the sec value plays
an important role and that an attacker will need to do brute force attacks
against the IID in order to generate the same IID as is generated by the use of
CGA. In a CGA analysis paper they talk about a CGA security vaulue of pow (2,
sec*16 * 59) where 2 is the base and sec*16 * 59 is the exponential value and
so they infer that by increasing the sec value used with CGA it will be safer,
but this Is not true.
I, as an attacker, just to need to find your private key. That's it. This is
because you have already included the CGA parameters (public key, modifier, and
other required parameters) in the  packet that was sent and I will have no
problem in regenerating the CGA. My only problem will be in generating the
signature that can be verified by use of your public key. This means that you
just increased the complexity and time required for generating and verifying
the IID while with SSAS you can obtain the same security as when using CGA
because its security also depends on the Hash function that is used to generate
the key pair and signature.
If you send the CGA parameters via a safe channel, like in establishing TLS
etc., then, in that case, CGA would be more secure than SSAS. But in practice
all the data is sent in the same packet without encryption. If a secured
channel would be used in the CGA process for security reasons (sending CGA
parameters), then the cost of using CGA would be much greater than the cost of
using SSAS.

Now the question is, Why not use a more cost efficient algorithm that afford
you with the same security level as when using CGA.

I have also included the security group in this email so that they can also
give me any comments that they might have.

Thank you,
Hosnieh