In your previous mail you wrote:

>  > What changes from RFC 3972 to your draft in this high-level analysis?
>
>  The difference between my draft and that of RFC 3972 is that I make use of
>  the public key in the IP address directly.

=> this is IMHO a bad idea because it limits the search space in the
best case (i.e., not when the structure of the public key allows
trivial attacks as in the RSA case) to 2**64.

>   Doing it the way I have explained
>  in my draft eliminates the need for the use of those SHAx steps  because I
>  believe the use of those steps does not lend itself to improved security.

=> I strongly disagree: the use of those SHAx steps is the way to extend
the search space and until SHAx pre-images are broken for the worst case
(i.e., no attack better than brute force).

>   My
>  reason for this opinion is that RFC 3972 can only prevent DAD attacks and
>  not the other types of attacks. This attack can also be prevented by using
>  CGA if we add this extra verification step (that of the node checking the
>  public key of the sender to his own), otherwise RPKI would be used. This is
>  the same procedure as outlined in my draft. So the security of both depends
>  on the security of the public/ private keys. After a successful verification
>  (which could have resulted from a fast relay attack) the attacker's
>  link-layer address is included in a cache as a legitimate address, and if
>  routing is based on the link-layer address,  then the node has no way of
>  knowing that it was just a replay attack. Otherwise, the use of RPKI, where
>  the node that has this IP address/or link layer is specified, would contain
>  this public key. This is why, in this case, the keys' security is very
>  important.

=> this seems to be replay attacks. RFC 3972 (CGAs) doesn't protect against
replay but provides message (aka connectionless) integrity so any use
of CGAs can add an anti-replay device (RFC 3971 (SEND) uses nonces and
timestamps for anti-replay). BTW CGAs and SSASs are the same for this
point.

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr

PS: I don't say to put the public key in the address is intrinsically
broken but it cannot be done this way. I suggest to look at Identity
Based Cryptography (the SAAG could provide guidance).