Scott,

If the only goal is in-vehicle, then clearly ULAs are the answer, and there's
nothing more to be discussed. And for that matter, RFC 1918 addresses and IPv4
would be more than adequate. Limiting comms to in-vehicle does not require any
global uniqueness of addresses.

I think the model to follow here is more like E.164 uniform resource
identifiers (ENUM, RFC 3761). In enum, the telephone numbers are not hard-coded
in the IP address. Rather, they become a DNS entry. Seems to me that any plan
on using the uniqueness of the VIN number for cars should follow this same
approach.

Not saying that this DNS approach would answer all vehicle comms issues to be
resolved, though. For example, for self-driving vehicles, there would be a need
for more real-time (perhaps at layer 2) comms between adjacent cars and between
cars and the roadway. E.g. some way of a car with an impending problem to be
shuttled off to the emergency lanes, to get out of the way of the moving
traffic.

Bert