On 4/11/13 3:28 AM, Fernando Gont wrote:
That aside, you could also have the case where the same node connects to
the same network with two NICs, at the same time. In such scenario,
you're forced to have each NIC get a different IPv6 address. -- In a
scenario such as this, each NIC will get the same address (both in this
case and also when the node connects to that network with a single
interface).

Whoa... If two NICs on the same system connect to the same link, they
can't get the same address.  Those two interfaces *should* have
different ifIndex values being fed into the PRF.

Exactly. my pint was that this is the very reason for which one cannot
expect two different NICs to get the same IPv6 addresses when they
connect (separately) to the same network.

My comment above was meant to simply point out that these addresses are
per prefix/interface combination.  That's all.

Agreed. Should I tweak the document n any way regarding this?

I think it would be useful to add a sentence or two that points out that the generated address could be different *for the same prefix* if the device connects over a different physical interface.

Regards,
Brian