On 05/22/2013 03:34 AM, Dave Thaler wrote:
>> I attend an IETF meeting, and learn the IID of your laptop. Then I can
>> actively
>> probe your node regarding "Is David at the office?" "Is David at home?",
>> etc.... simply because your IID is known and constant.
>
> Since you're making this personal... please explain how you can probe whether
> I'm at the office or at home, both of which are behind firewalls (so won't
> respond
> to arbitrary probes) and have address prefixes you don't know to begin with.

As noted, this wasn't meant to be personal -- it was just meant to be an
example.

Now, given the example under discussion:

I could learn your IID when we both attend the IETF meeting. And I could
learn your prefixes when you post to mailing-lists from such places.
Then I could use Prefix|IID to track you.

The fact that you use a firewall is mostly irrelevant. I'd bet your
firewall still reponds to some packets (e.g., packets with unsupported
options?). And, if that were not the case, I could rely on the
ICMPv6 "address resolution failed" error messages sent by your local
router (i.e., if I receive one of such messages, you're not there. If I
don't, you are).

I've seen similar discussions for different kinds of IDs in the past,
and every time someone pushed a flawed/sub-optimal approach, they got
bitten. Moral of the story: don't leak more than necessary to achieve
your desired goal, or you'll be bitten.

P.S.: This was discussed off-list already... but I posted this on-list
so that wg participants are aware of my response.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks