Thanks Alissa for the nice table, this is very helpful.

I'm assuming here by (d) you mean correlation over_time_ of activities from the
same node, even if it never moves.

> The rows of the table are the address generation methods that have been
> discussed. The first three are for nodes that only use stable addresses and
> never use temporary addresses. Incidentally, I assume that it is this kind of
> configuration that Fernando's draft is targeting -- the scenario where a
> network administrator has disabled temporary addresses regardless of the
> desires of the user, as described in section 1 of the draft. As can be seen in
> the table, both random and random-per-network (my term for what the draft
> calls stable privacy addresses) mitigate both types of address scanning
> attacks.
> Random-per-network additionally mitigates location tracking and potentially
> reduces the amount of time over which correlation can take place.
>
> The second group of three are for nodes that only use temporary addresses
> (but that also configure a stable address that never gets used). This is what
> would be expected by users that want to avoid correlation attacks, assuming
> their admins allow it. In this case random and random-per-network provide
> equivalent protection.
>
> The last group of three are for nodes that use both temporary and stable
> addresses. Again here both random and random-per-network prevent the
> first two attacks, but random-per-network also prevents location tracking and
> potentially reduces the scope for correlation.
>
> I think the conclusion from this is that if there are lots of nodes out there
> that
> want to be protected from location tracking and correlation but their admins
> won't let them use temporary addresses, then random-per-network (row 3)
> provides some benefits over random (row 2).

Also, for nodes that never move (e.g., servers, desktop PCs, etc.) random and
random-per-network are equivalent.

> If we're talking about the case
> where a node can use temporary addresses and only uses them, random and
> random-per-network provide the same benefits (rows 5 and 6). I'm assuming
> those are the two common cases (could be wrong though).
>
> If we take away the assumption that the node uses no higher-layer identifiers,
> then correlation becomes possible in all of the cases for the duration of
> max(life of higher-layer identifier, longest-lived address).

Agree.

> If we take away the assumption that the node is never behind a firewall and
> assume that it will never respond to unsolicited packets (maybe too much too
> assume, but let's try), then the only differences between the address
> generation mechanisms are with respect to correlation. Random-per-network
> still provides some benefits over random in this case.

Agree.  For nodes that move between networks, yes.
Nodes that never move don't gain those benefits of course.

> Not sure if this is helpful to anyone else, but it clarified my thinking on
> this a
> bit, and it might be worth making the threat analysis in the draft more
> specific
> along these lines.

I think it would definitely help the draft to include this analysis.

Thanks again,
-Dave