On Jun 3, 2013, at 7:27 AM, Ted Lemon <ted.le...@nominum.com> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2013, at 11:21 PM, Owen DeLong <o...@delong.com> wrote:
>>> Yes.   A fine engineering solution for demonstration purposes, but not a
>>> good solution for us to recommend for deployment in the long term.
>>> Because it commits wide prefixes to sub-delegations, it wastes address
>>> space profligately, and likely would require a /48 for a fairly trivial
>>> subnetted homenet.
>> You say that as if it would be a bad thing.
>> I don't see a problem with it.
>
> IIRC, what started this conversation was the claim that wasting bits on
> semantic identifiers was bad because it wasted address space.   If you don't
> think wasting address space is a problem, why are we even having this debate?

I guess it boils down to the definition of waste.

I believe that making bits available for greater flexibility in consumer
networking is a good use of bits.

I believe that stealing bits from the consumer for purposes of allowing the
provider to overload the IP address with yet more unrelated meaning (semantic
identifiers) isn't a good idea even if it didn't involve stealing the bits from
consumers.

Owen