From: Lorenzo Colitti [mailto:lore...@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 3:45 AM
To: Vízdal Aleš
Cc: Joel M. Halpern; Sheng Jiang; <v6...@ietf.org>;
draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-pre...@tools.ietf.org; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Could IPv6 address be more than
locator?//draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix-03

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Vízdal Aleš
<ales.viz...@t-mobile.cz<mailto:ales.viz...@t-mobile.cz>> wrote:
> If I am reading this correctly, in the end this is riven by the fact that
> existing boxes
> can easily filter on addresses (although it will take a lot of filters), but
> can not apply
> ACLs to DSCPs or extension headers?

The current boxes can do both ACL filtering as well as DSCP mangling, but as
mentioned
earlier the DSCP bits cannot be trusted, so a markdown/re-marking is required
potentially
involving DPI. Maintaining ACLs is also time consuming.

I don't understand what the difference is. Why can the addresses be trusted?
Answer - because you drop packets if the host uses the wrong address. But all
the space is routed to the user anyway, and the semantic bits only express
semantics, right? Therefore you can't use routing or RPF to implement the
drops, and you have to use an ACL.

[ales] Let’s assume the SP is providing a prefix per service, so the host will
be provided with multiple addresses from multiple prefixes (e.g. voice, iptv,
Internet).
If the host picks a wrong address with better QoS policy e.g. iptv to talk to
the Internet it won’t work as this prefix shall be used to talk to iptv only,
so there is
no point in playing with prefixes on the host side. ACLs shall be installed to
make sure that the service designated prefix can reach the respective service
only by
matching the semantic bits. Semantics shall not be limited to QoS only as it
can define service, customer, vpn service, security level, location … so the
ACLs
can be simplified to match the semantics bits instead of matching exact src /
dst and maintaining ‘sometimes’ long lists of these. So users with the same
service profile can use the same ACLs.

So if you have to use an ACL to do this anyway, then why can't you make the ACL
drop packets if the host uses the wrong DSCP codepoint? That way you don't need
to use extra address space.

[ales] ACLs can be used to set/change the DSCP, but the semantics is not only
about QoS/DSCP. Semantics can help to simply set the DSCP based on the semantic
bits
encoded in the address (src/dst) compared to matching src / dst / l4 ports or
even employing DPI on a per subscriber basis.